Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Movie updates 11/07

For some unknown reason I have been to the movies a fair bit lately. So here are some thoughts:

THE HAPPENING
This movie has stayed in my mind for many weeks after I first saw it. The idea of karma being that strong is just amusing. The humans ruin the earth, and so the earth gets back by making everyone kill themselves after being caught in the wind. Amusing, and perhaps I missed the point of the movie, but nevertheless, that thought entertains me through the night. One word of caution though. If you are suicidal, then this may not be the film for you. It pretty much shows many many ways that people can kill themselves. Hmmm...

GET SMART
Now, this is an example of a reinvention similar to Starsky and Hutch, where it works, but you know that the original is so great, that you have to question the filmmakers for even dipping into the cookie jar. Now, Steve Carrell and yes, even Anne Hathaway did not bug the shit out of me like how I thought they were going to. So thats a plus. But it was the predictable light action film that I thought it would be. Bit of a fluff piece. But there's nothing wrong with fluff pieces. So if you want some light entertainment, Get Smart won't disappoint. If you're looking for something with a little more substance, then I suggest that you "get smart". (hahaha...that was purely lame and sheerly witty!)

SHUTTER
Well, can't say this adds anything new to the genre of Japanese horror films being Hollywood-ifed. The whole Grudge, Ring thing has been done, and thensome. But at least you know what to expect. Shutter worked, but wasn't the scariest or smartest film I've ever seen. I could pretty much see it as a paraody as I was watching it. That's what the Scary Movie franchise has done. Thanks boys!

CHRONICLES OF NARNIA
Perhaps you had to have loved the first one, which I didn't. But it seems the general consensus among people I know is: If you loved the first, you won't be disappointed. All you other people may have a different reaction. I didn't mind either one, but it's a typical kids action film without that much dialog, which is probably a blessing, knowing child actors these days. Apart from that its a pretty, Disney action kids film. Go forth and prosper Narnians!

KUNG FU PANDA
This is the kind of animated feature I've needed to see for a while. More adult humour. There seems to be an abundance of animal related animated feature films, and frankly, I can't take anymore. But Kung Fu Panda was a relief. Jack Black added a lot of character. However, I know some people aren't Jack Black people, so maybe it takes something away for those people. But I am not one of them. I am not exactly a Kung Fu fan either. But it all worked!

SEX AND THE CITY
I suppose you have to enjoy the show. But I enjoyed it. And I risk putting that sentence out there. But I know there are closeted fans. And not the gay kinda closeted. It's something hard to admit. But I did enjoy it, as I did the show. However, in retrospect, it could have been funnier and had more sex too. It was also so weird seeing it on the big screen. Really big. Mr Big was big!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very entertaining, the happening was really bad and i agree suicidal ppl should not watch it! very funny though....yet i do not understand why people who were sitting in the parks at the begining and end were not affected by the disease...i refer to the girl who had the friend with the needle and the guy at the end with the guy talking about his bike....were they immune or something???
hmmm...very concerning...

i did also enjoy Kung Fu Panda....

Great Blog Jamie!!!