Saturday, July 5, 2008

Facebook Status Updates

I know I'm probably most guilty of this, but nevertheless, I have to rant.

What's with all of the completely boring facebook status updates?

Now some actually have potency. Or even a philosophical meaning. But somehow, "(BLANK) is off to wash his car" takes the frickin cake and is a sample of what fills the space of Facebook updates. Why do I really need to know that you're off to wash your car? Or more importantly, why is it a necessity to write that you are bored and doing nothing?

Now, once again, I will reaffirm that I'm sure I've committed this cardinal sin of Facebook Status Updates. So for an experiment I will analyse the last status updates of a rather sexy, funny, talented and completely anonymous over the last month...

  • "Jamie cannot resist disney sales"
  • "Jamie didn't go on eastlink today and feels naked"
  • "Jamie updated his blog! it's back! learningthelingo.blogspot.com
  • "Jamie went on eastlink again!"
  • "Jamie spent a fair amount of time on the eastlink today"
  • "Jamie just saw angus and julia! so freaking good!!!"
  • "Jamie misses the sun and the sky"
  • "Jamie: melancholy is today's special"
  • "Jamie is sad to be sad"
  • "Jamie wants some action"
  • "Jamie actually finds it amusing that he hates study and yet rarely does any"
  • "Jamie hates study and can't wait to be free"
  • "Jamie wants to feel better"
  • "Jamie is mourning the death of his red P plate"

So what can we gather from this? Well we have learned that...
  • Jamie loves to update his Facebook status, no matter how important or frivolous the event
  • Jamie likes exclamation marks!
  • Jamie is not afraid to admit his depressed state, no matter how boring it is
  • Jamie seems to love Eastlink
  • And Jamie is not afraid of selfless promotion of his blog.
And so what insight does this gain into Jamie's persona?

Nada. Well, maybe a bit more. However, I will conclude with my new notion that it seems that the self indulgent nature of Facebook allows the blogger or what have you to be completely indulged in their own wonder that any simple thing that they write for their update is seen as not only completely fascinating, but absolutely necessary to tell the whole world!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here are a few of personal favorites from 'friends with recent status updates'. Naturally, persons names will be omitted and replaced with the alias Rock Strongo.

The top three:

Rock Strongo nothing.
Rock Strongo is nothing.
Rock Strongo Resistance is futile (when <1 ohm).

And an honorable mention:

Rock Strongo - difficult is worth doing.

The point of this comment? Is what you were thinking it was before you changed your mind to what you think it is which is what it isn't.

Blogger68 said...

Thats beaut. I would love to know who this Rock Strongo is....

Blogger68 said...

never mind, worked it out

M xx said...

Okay; no idea who Rock Strongo is.

I'm the honorable mention however. If my job isn't around me enough, I just have to leech off HondaUK for advertising material. Yes. Honda Accord Euro. Difficult. Worth Doing. And so on... At least my words inspire. Having that said I would love to re-read my nonsense. JAMIE! How do I check all my recent ones?

Now some highlights;
As per usual I will rename such members as 'Chan Fukky'

Chan Fukky needs a haircut.
Chan Fukky got a haircut.
Chan Fukky loves his new haircut.

What the fuck?
This is within 30 hours.

Anonymous said...

The new profile page in development. Thought it mildly relevant.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o319/mike88_theking/newfacebook_screen.png

Anonymous said...

Well I acquiesce in but I contemplate the list inform should prepare more info then it has.