Sunday, July 13, 2008

Currently playing....

MEET DAVE (released 17/6)
I feel ashamed to admit that I actually laugh in some Eddie Murphy films. He doesn't seem to be the popular pop culture figure. But I laughed in Nutty Professors. But I didn't see Norbit and didn't love the Doctor Dolittle films. Boring! However, I shamefully admit that I laughed in the trailer for this film. So, maybe my kind of sense of humour would be easily amused by this film. I am tempted to find out.

MAMMA MIA (released 10/7)
I freely admit to being in the group of young primary school children that became excited with the release of ABBA GOLD (circa 1999). That and we were all fans of Muriel's Wedding. Yes, 10 year olds have loved that film. However, for Mamma Mia, I am more skeptical. The idea and the potential is good. But to me, it seems likely that it won't meet up. But you never know. Despite hearing the soundtrack and loving Meryl Streep to death, I can't see another version of ABBA Gold coming. The look of the film is very white and bad clothes everywhere. Not that I really care that much, but aesthetics are important to the eye. Well, I'll give it a fair chance and an open mind and let you know what I think.

LOVE GURU (released 10/7)
I think every person who loved the Austin Powers trilogy has accepted that anything Mike Myers does afterwards will most likely not hit the mark of the high caliber that the Powers films so happen to exude. However, it could work. Maybe. Maybe I'll find out. Maybe not.

HANCOCK (released 3/7)
Now, I turned the opportunity to see this the other night. I admit it probably would have been entertaining enough. But I have had my Will Smith quota filled for the decade. He is just annoying to me. So over what a hero this guy is. Even when he plays characters down on their luck he ends up getting nominated for an Oscar. Can this guy do no wrong? He has the happy married life as well. What else could go wrong? Nothing. He has the perfect life. And that pisses me off. And I'm tired of his films. However, Men in Black was the peak and the exception for me. That was pure gold. Men in Black 2, not so much. But that first one. Wowza. But despite the good looks of Charlize Theron and the comedy of Jason Bateman being an addition to what is know as the "Will Smith style action film", I still refuse to pay to see this movie.

INCREDIBLE HULK (released 12/6)
Didn't see the first one. People said it was shit. People also say all kinds of crazy BS. However, the general buzz is that this Hulk is much better than its predecessor, which seems to be constantly brought up again and again. So while I didn't see the first one, I will probably not see the new one either. No particular reason. Just not a big fan of the genre that so dominates this time of year. Another reason...Ed Norton (aka new hulk) refused to do any publicity for the film as of creative differences (aka he didn't like the piece of shit). Food for thought...

SPEED RACER (released 12/6)
I keep thinking Cars. Which is probably bad, because isn't it supposed to be real people. I don't even know who is in this. I know Christina Ricci (most famous from The Addams Family movies a decade ago) is in it. And perhaps that guy from Disturbia, Shia LaBeouf. Which I think is the actual spelling. Weird name. I dunno. Maybe....

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN (released 19/6)
Now, I made a whole blog rant on Adam Sandler movies. So this film belongs to the ambivalent era, where I'm not really sure if I want to see the film or not. I think I'll throw this film into the bag of maybe I'll hire it, but will probably see it on cable for free.

No comments: