Friday, June 6, 2008

Skins

Now, I freely admit to only watching the first season of this show. But....I can safely say that I'm addicted to Skins. So much so that I joined a Facebook group. Mind you, I also joined a Facebook group out of being addicted to Facebook. See my "Crippling Addiction to Facebook" blog on that one, coz it's a whole other story.

This show, beyond being a show about teenagers doing a lot of drugs, has the universal themes of loneliness, betrayal, loss, hurt and the usual angst, horney-ness and frustation that comes with being a teenager and growing up. I'd heard Skins had a lot of disturbing drug references in it. Perhaps its only that I've seen the first season, but I didn't really notice anything that unusual or disturbing, or something worthy of its R rating that it has in Australia. Maybe I'm blind, but I saw something that went just beyond drugs.

My favourite character is Cassie. Amazing character. She lives in such a dream. And her reality is so sad. You just want her to find that happiness. And yet you don't want her to change.

One thing I instantly noticed is that one of the main characters Tony (Nicholas Hault) was in About a Boy with Hugh Grant a few years ago. Boy has he changed. He got like three feet taller and lost about half of his width. How puberty can change a person.

I saw all of the episodes of season one within a few days thanks to the miracle of genius that is the DVD box set. So good not having to wait. And in my opinion it help you get addicted quicker, even if you do lose that feeling of suspense or having something to look forward to all week when waiting for the next episode.

I can't wait to see Season 2. And then 3 and then onwards

No comments: